Sharing is caring!
Being a Mama means nights out are a rarity. This means, us Mama’s get SUPER EXCITED (or we don’t want to go as we are so used to snuggling in our PJ’s with a glass of wine and a takeaway most weekends!)
I love the phrase ‘out out’. Its reminds me of Micky Flanagan and his joke of how he popped out for a loaf of bread and 5 hours later he’s ‘out out’ and in his slippers still – love it! For me, going out out mama style means several things, and most likely starts a week before the night out! See below.
1. Preparation. I mean, its got to start with searching online for the night ‘out out’ outfit. Outfit of the week or whatever you may call it, I want a new outfit for my night out. Maybe ordering a couple of outfits to just try on and then send back. I don’t have much time (or the patience!) to go shopping with three kids, so online shopping for me is the way forward.
2. Start getting ready at like 9am. A slow bit of prep throughout the day is how it happens for me. I quickly grab 15 minutes here and there to fake tan, shower, wash hair – whenever the kids allow me! As soon the kids are in the bath on the evening, this is my make up time and I stay in my dressing gown to the last minute. No one wants baby sick on their new outfit!!!
3. PEP TALK – I have to tell myself, remember what a hangover feels like! Do you really want to feel rotten all day tomorrow looking after three kids?! Gin gives me a bad head, yet prosecco is kind to me (don’t mix with limoncello – its lethal). I tell myself I’m Cinders and need to be home by midnight. YOU DO NOT WANT A HANGOVER WITH A BABY THAT COULD WAKE IN THE NIGHT! I keep telling myself this…
4. Gone are days of going out out mama style on the town WITHOUT a coat. What was I thinking!? Freezing my bum off waiting in line to get into the club was not pleasant let me tell you. But I went coatless because a) you looked cool and b) you didn’t want to pay for the cloakroom. Now I’m wrapped up nice and warm in my coat and sometimes a scarf! So a coat is 100% included in the outfit make up.
5. Once out (with my coat) the taste of the first drink is like no other. The appreciation of whatever cocktail or wine/prosecco I’ve put to my lips tastes bliss and feels so well deserved. Its then, like magic, the drinking bug hits and you feel invincible and want another…and another. And all thought of dealing with a hangover the following morning with excitable and noisy kids has gone out the window.
6. After a few drinks and feeling confident, it’s all about taking the toilet selfie while visiting the ladies…or selfies should I say! No doubt it will be circulating on instagram in seconds.
7. Once home, it’s all about trying to be super quiet, yet checking on your children as you’ve missed them. In the process, you manage to kiss their feet instead of their head as you can’t see a damm thing (and of course being slightly squiffy), trip over that god damm toy that was left right in the doorway and get told off by the husband for getting so pissed!
Does anyone else relate to these points?! I am sure there is many more to add! If a spa day is more your thing, check out Girls Gospel’s day out at a Spa!
Hi and welcome to The Willow Tree. I’m Michelle, also known as Shel and I am a mama to three beautiful crazy kids – I have two handsome boys and a wild and wonderful girl.
I really wanted a concrete place to share my thoughts, ideas and my ups and downs on family life, sharing our family adventures and love for fashion. I’d love for it to be a community of support and advice for others too.
I chat everything from Disney, parenting hacks to the latest haul from Primark! I love going on family breaks and holidays and love to document these times of creating special memories.