5 tips for managing a family holiday whilst pregnant

30 Shares

Prepring for a family holiday whilst pregnant with sunglasses, clothes and a camera

I love my family to pieces, but how is anyone meant to plan a holiday with children AND expecting a little one?! Sometimes it can seem mad when mummies-to-be start thinking about heading away. However, it doesn’t have to be as stressful as we all once thought. Phew. These are just some of my top five tips for managing a holiday whilst pregnant. I wish you luck!

1. Think about your accommodation

What sort of holiday are you looking for? Expecting mums need to think about relaxing whilst the rest of the family will be looking for plenty to keep them entertained. Villa holidays can be the perfect answer to both issues. Our recent trip to Center Parcs showed how helpful it has to have everything you need in your own accommodation while still reaping in the benefits of a holiday. Plus, resorts such as Center Parcs have plenty on offer for the little ones meaning more time for mummy relaxation.

A mother and child walking to the ocean at sunset whilst on holiday whilst pregnant

2. Holiday location

Did you know that sea air is filled with negative ions which helps how quickly we can absorb oxygen? This is one of the many reasons that pregnant travellers decide to head to the beach for their holiday. As well as feeling more energised for fun in the sun with the family during the day, the sea air can help every family member to relax more when it comes to bedtime. After all, a good night’s sleep is vital if you want to be up and active the next day.  Summer if fast approaching, so to see Emmy’s Mummy’s tip on where to book this summer, check it out here!

3. Check in ahead

For many years people have blamed forgetfulness on ‘baby brain’, but now it looks as though research has proved baby brain really exists. This can make it tough to remember all the essential documents when it comes time to jump on the plane or check into the hotel. To avoid forgetting anything, one way is to scan all your necessary information into the computer and email a copy to yourself. As long as you have your phone, you will have your documents wherever you go.

A collection of toys to take on holiday whilst pregnant to distract other children

4. Plenty of toys

As much as I don’t want to admit it, I have been known to bribe my three over the years. Sometimes a little gift is so much easier than having to deal with a full-blown temper tantrum. As well as stocking up on plenty to do throughout the journey, have you thought about setting toy challenges for your little ones? It could be handing over a toy every x number of miles, or one for behaving for however long. Either way, these treats will help make the journey as stress-free as possible. Just what you need as a mum to be.

5. Fun activities

We are so used to hearing all the things we can’t do whilst we are pregnant. Yes, it’s better to be safe than sorry, but what about all the wonderful things we can still enjoy? Although running, skiing, and scuba diving might be off the list, you and the whole family can still enjoy trips to the zoo, cave exploration, and swimming as some of the many options for holiday activities. This is the time to make memories with the little ones before a brand new arrival, so why not try something new?

I can’t wait to hear all the incredible stories of your travels with your family and bump in tow. If you have any more tips for managing a family holiday whilst pregnant be sure to leave your suggestions in the comments down below!

*This is a collaborative post*

30 Shares

32 Comments

1. May 5, 2018 / 9:38 am

Great tips. I went on a 2 week Med cruise whilst pregnant and had a fantastic time. I really do think sea air helps.

2. May 7, 2018 / 5:09 pm

Really helpful tips. Holidays certainly change post kids and ours definitely revolve more around activities now! Snacks and toys are an absolute must too!+

3. May 7, 2018 / 9:10 pm

These are such great tips! I really do love being by the sea, it really does make me feel better.

4. Mother of 3
    May 7, 2018 / 9:53 pm

Great tips! I mistakenly planned a few trips to Disney while pregnant and I have to admit that a beach side vacation might have been smarter. All that walking was not great on my poor tired, swollen ankles and feet.

5. May 7, 2018 / 10:11 pm

Holidays are very different when you’re pregnant. We took my parents and they got to have some lovely time with their granddaughter, my husband had some extra help and I was able to relax more being 8 months pregnant.

6. May 8, 2018 / 7:53 am

Such a great list! It is hard planning for a holiday when you’re pregnant. We always love to go self catering so we have the freedom to eat when and where we fancy. But when I was pregnant with my second child we went all inclusive. It made such a difference not having to cook or even think about food. We didn’t want to explore and my son just wanted to be in the pool all day so it was perfect. Anywhere that you can barely move and have anything brought to you is good! Lol!

7. May 8, 2018 / 12:57 pm

Really enjoyed reading this! Haven’t been in this predicament myself (yet!) but I’m definitely going to remember all your useful advice!!

8. May 8, 2018 / 5:40 pm

I travelled for the first time with my then 10 month old daughter and it was the most stressful thing I have ever done so, doing it pregnant is mind boggling haha

9. May 9, 2018 / 8:14 pm

I remember going to Lynmouth in Devon when I was 6 months pregnant with Caitlin and it’s true – that sea air really does help you sleep – and that was despite the husband’s snoring!

10. May 9, 2018 / 8:22 pm

Great tips! I remember being heavily pregnant camping in Scotland, and 30 weeks pregnant at camp bestival. I think I would definitely go for a relaxing villa holiday !!!

11. May 11, 2018 / 12:46 pm

Such a lovely post to help those who are wondering how they are going to cope with a holiday while they are still pregnant.

• May 11, 2018 / 1:55 pm

Thank you I hope it can be of help to some!

12. May 11, 2018 / 8:39 pm

Great tips for those who are pregnant and facing a family holiday x

13. May 12, 2018 / 12:26 am

The beach sounds like a great choice! When my son was 2 1/2 and I was 6 months pregnant with my daughter, we took a long weekend trip. We went to a zoo and other places that required a lot of walking. Big mistake!

• May 12, 2018 / 9:29 am

Ah no! I found walking so tough especially in my third pregnancy!

14. May 13, 2018 / 5:28 pm

There is good tips here. I also went traveling to Thailand when I was pregnant with my #2. I was staying with my brother and his girlfriend then, so it was nice when I had a helping hand at the side. My brother’s gf was great with Ethan. This is making me missing home! lol! 😉 xx

• May 14, 2018 / 9:23 am

Ah that great you had some help! Makes it easier doesn’t it!

15. May 13, 2018 / 7:34 pm

Great tips! I remember going to Devon when I was pregnant for a ‘baby moon’. Then moved to Brighton before Pip was born. I did not know the fact about negative ions near the sea. How interesting! x

• May 14, 2018 / 9:22 am

Yes its so beneficial – i’d love to live by the sea!

16. May 16, 2018 / 12:00 pm

Lists and being pre-organised helps so much.

17. May 20, 2018 / 7:01 pm

I’ve actually never been on holiday when I was pregnant – I think we were more preoccupied with getting things ready! If I’m ever pregnant again though, I’d definitely consider going away! Thanks for linking up to #fortheloveofBLOG

18. May 23, 2018 / 9:02 pm

Great tips and as pregnancy can be an uncomfy and stressful time important to get those holiday choices right #TriumphantTales

19. May 25, 2018 / 8:36 pm

Great tips for all the families in the making! Luckily, we are formed and working hard at playing hard! #triumphanttales xoxo

20. May 28, 2018 / 6:51 pm

Crikey, it’s tricky enough without being pregnant! These seem like great tips! Thanks for sharing with #TriumphantTales.