Most women already know that as we age our fertility declines, but there are lots of other fascinating fertility facts about females that you may not know!
Here are five fantastic female facts provided by a Fertility clinic in the London Borough of Wandsworth…
1. At birth, a female baby has between one to two million eggs! However, by the time she hits puberty that reduces to only three hundred thousand. Of these, only about five hundred will be ovulated during a woman’s reproductive lifetime.
2. With each menstrual cycle, a woman loses around three thousand to five thousand eggs. You may think that because a woman ovulates and releases one mature egg per month, this means she should just lose one egg per month. But this couldn’t be further from the truth!
3. Excessive exercise or dieting can stop a woman’s menstrual cycle and prevent pregnancy. While it’s true that exercise can improve fertility in overweight women, it may slightly reduce fertility in women of a healthy weight. It is therefore a good idea to try to limit strenuous activities, such as running or aerobics, to less than four hours per week if you have reached the ideal weight for your height and age.
4. IVF bypasses the need for viable Fallopian Tubes. Blocked fallopian tubes prevent natural conception. But with IVF the eggs are fertilised in a laboratory and then placed into the uterus through the cervix where they can implant and grow. This means the Fallopian Tubes are bypassed altogether.
5. Smoking during pregnancy greatly increases the risk of health problems for developing babies; including preterm birth, low birth weight, and birth defects of the mouth and lip. It is no secret that smoking during pregnancy can have a significant impact on your unborn child’s health, but did you know that it can actually affect your baby’s own future fertility too? Studies have also shown that mothers who smoke while pregnant and breastfeeding may be harming their chances of grandchildren!
Thanks for reading xxx
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Hi and welcome to The Willow Tree. I’m Michelle, also known as Shel and I am a mama to three beautiful crazy kids – I have two handsome boys and a wild and wonderful girl.
I really wanted a concrete place to share my love for travel, in particular Disney and offer my readers a chance to gain some knowledge around what we love to do as a family of 5.
I share our family adventures which include days out, travel advice and tips, holiday reviews, restaurant visits and of course, our love for Disney, including Disneyland Paris and Walt Disney World.
Life is about creating memories, and here we are sharing them with you
Leave a Reply