Being a Mama means nights out are a rarity. This means, us Mama’s get SUPER EXCITED (or we don’t want to go as we are so used to snuggling in our PJ’s with a glass of wine and a takeaway most weekends!)
I love the phrase ‘out out’. Its reminds me of Micky Flanagan and his joke of how he popped out for a loaf of bread and 5 hours later he’s ‘out out’ and in his slippers still – love it! For me, going out out mama style means several things, and most likely starts a week before the night out! See below.
1. Preparation. I mean, its got to start with searching online for the night ‘out out’ outfit. Outfit of the week or whatever you may call it, I want a new outfit for my night out. Maybe ordering a couple of outfits to just try on and then send back. I don’t have much time (or the patience!) to go shopping with three kids, so online shopping for me is the way forward.
2. Start getting ready at like 9am. A slow bit of prep throughout the day is how it happens for me. I quickly grab 15 minutes here and there to fake tan, shower, wash hair – whenever the kids allow me! As soon the kids are in the bath on the evening, this is my make up time and I stay in my dressing gown to the last minute. No one wants baby sick on their new outfit!!!
3. PEP TALK – I have to tell myself, remember what a hangover feels like! Do you really want to feel rotten all day tomorrow looking after three kids?! Gin gives me a bad head, yet prosecco is kind to me (don’t mix with limoncello – its lethal). I tell myself I’m Cinders and need to be home by midnight. YOU DO NOT WANT A HANGOVER WITH A BABY THAT COULD WAKE IN THE NIGHT! I keep telling myself this…
4. Gone are days of going out out mama style on the town WITHOUT a coat. What was I thinking!? Freezing my bum off waiting in line to get into the club was not pleasant let me tell you. But I went coatless because a) you looked cool and b) you didn’t want to pay for the cloakroom. Now I’m wrapped up nice and warm in my coat and sometimes a scarf! So a coat is 100% included in the outfit make up.
5. Once out (with my coat) the taste of the first drink is like no other. The appreciation of whatever cocktail or wine/prosecco I’ve put to my lips tastes bliss and feels so well deserved. Its then, like magic, the drinking bug hits and you feel invincible and want another…and another. And all thought of dealing with a hangover the following morning with excitable and noisy kids has gone out the window.
6. After a few drinks and feeling confident, it’s all about taking the toilet selfie while visiting the ladies…or selfies should I say! No doubt it will be circulating on instagram in seconds.
7. Once home, it’s all about trying to be super quiet, yet checking on your children as you’ve missed them. In the process, you manage to kiss their feet instead of their head as you can’t see a damm thing (and of course being slightly squiffy), trip over that god damm toy that was left right in the doorway and get told off by the husband for getting so pissed!
Does anyone else relate to these points?! I am sure there is many more to add! If a spa day is more your thing, check out Girls Gospel’s day out at a Spa!
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Hi and welcome to The Willow Tree. I’m Michelle, also known as Shel and I am a mama to three beautiful crazy kids – I have two handsome boys and a wild and wonderful girl.
I really wanted a concrete place to share my love for travel, in particular Disney and offer my readers a chance to gain some knowledge around what we love to do as a family of 5.
I share our family adventures which include days out, travel advice and tips, holiday reviews, restaurant visits and of course, our love for Disney, including Disneyland Paris and Walt Disney World.
Life is about creating memories, and here we are sharing them with you
Out out? What’s that?! We hardly ever get the chance to have a date night anymore although I do love getting glammed up when I get the chance. I definitely can’t do the late nights OR the hangovers anymore though! Looks like you had a great night! Lovely outfit too!
Thank you! Gosh, i get tired so quickly haha! Can’t take the pace!
I am goi ‘out out’ next weekend with my husband for our anniversary- a gig and then drinks! I’m so excited but not looking forward to that hangover! Definitely can relate to starting to get ready at 9am!
Have a fab night!
I used to love spending all day (week) getting ready to go out, it was so exciting!
I used to too, now its al about getting ready in-between making the kids dinner, bath time, playing games etc!!
I haven’t been out out in so long that I can’t remember what it’s like!!
Ah, get one booked!
This made me chuckle! I can relate – you look amazing mama, as does that cocktail! xxx
The cocktail was indeed yummy! And thank you for your kind words I certainly don’t look like that all the time (wishing I did).
Gosh, you look fabulous! I went out for dinner with some mum friends a few weeks ago and it was such fun! xx
Glad you had fun – its important to have that time isn’t it to just relax and have fun!
Haha I love this. This is spot on with going out out after kids x
You look amazing! It’s been almost a year since I went out out 🙈 I had a baby, just over a year later managed 3 nights out then got pregnant again haha! I’m sure I’ll manage another one soon (i.e. a year or so!) x
Ah thank you! Yes hopefully a night out is due for you soon!
That first drink! Yum. And I totally want full luxury on the rare night out. #fortheloveblog
It always tastes the best!
I went out out last weekend and I nearly died. Well… I had a pretty epic hangover after a lot of wine and cocktails. It’s very rare though so enjoy being out out! Thanks for linking up to #fortheloveofBLOG x
I think it can do more damage the less you go out as excitement kicks in and we forget we have kids to look after the next day!
This is a great read. Love the toilet selfie and the feet kissing! haha xx
Ah thank you!
That cocktail looks scrummy! 🙂 Going out mama style also involves being sensible as They Know When You’re Weak. Nothing worse than children combined with a hangover!
Oh god absolutely!!!
So funny ‘out out’ without a coat! Absolutely no chance anymore.
No chance haha!
Oh, I can’t remember the last time I went ‘out out’! My baby is approaching 1 now though, so hopefully the time is coming! For me, it’s all about the getting ready – it’s so rare I get the chance to spend time on my hair and makeup now that I absolutely treasure that time, even if it is a lot speedier than it used to be! Thanks for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove
I night out out sounds in order for you soon!
You look fab! I can’t remember the last time I went out out! Most of my nights out now is dinner with friends and home by 11pm. I can’t cope with the next day! Thank you for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove
Ah thank you your too kind!! I also can’t stay out past 11pm either!
Not been out out in ages. I have been out to dinner with my fiance a few times but apart from that it was probably 6 months ago at a blogging conference that I was out on my own #sharingthebloglove
Your in for a much needed night out! Its lovely to go out for dinner isn’t it.